code review round 0 for Full Debug Symbols on MacOS X hotspot (7165611)

Daniel D. Daugherty daniel.daugherty at oracle.com
Mon Sep 30 06:44:05 PDT 2013

On 9/30/13 7:13 AM, Staffan Larsen wrote:
> First: thanks for doing this work - it will make debugging on os x so much easier!

That's the plan...

> I'm not done with the review, but here are a couple of comments so far.
>
> I tried running with:
>
> $ sh ./configure --with-debug-level=slowdebug --disable-zip-debug-info
> $ make
>
> which results in:
>
> ## Starting hotspot
> make[5]: *** No rule to make target `/Users/staffan/mercurial/hotspot-rt-jdk/build/macosx-x86_64-normal-server-slowdebug/hotspot/dist/jre/lib/amd64/libjsig.dylib.dSYM', needed by `generic_export'.  Stop.
> make[4]: *** [export_debug] Error 2
> make[3]: *** [all_debug_universal] Error 2
> make[2]: *** [universal_debug] Error 2

I'm presuming that you're trying with a forest that includes
closed repos. If so, then you'll need the jdk/make/closed change
in order for the build to work.

> Another comment: There are some makefile logic for BSD, non-darwin platforms. Have you had a chance to test this logic? (hotspot/make/bsd/makefiles/vm.make)

No, I don't have access to a BSD (non-darwin) platform. However, I'll
be pinging Dmitri Samersoff to ask a few questions...

> Nit: hotspot/make/bsd/makefiles/vm.make: L345, L356: wrong indentation.

These are make cmd lines:

  344   else
  345         $(QUIETLY) $(OBJCOPY) --only-keep-debug $@ $(LIBJVM_DEBUGINFO)
  346         $(QUIETLY) $(OBJCOPY)
--add-gnu-debuglink=$(LIBJVM_DEBUGINFO) $@
  347     ifeq ($(STRIP_POLICY),all_strip)

so they have to be indented by a tab. Very ugly, but necessary.

Dan