code review round 0 for Full Debug Symbols on MacOS X hotspot (7165611)

Staffan Larsen staffan.larsen at oracle.com
Mon Sep 30 11:00:26 PDT 2013

On 30 sep 2013, at 15:44, Daniel D. Daugherty <daniel.daugherty at oracle.com> wrote:

> On 9/30/13 7:13 AM, Staffan Larsen wrote:
>> First: thanks for doing this work - it will make debugging on os x so much easier!
>
> That's the plan...
>

>> I'm not done with the review, but here are a couple of comments so far.
>>
>> I tried running with:
>>
>> $ sh ./configure --with-debug-level=slowdebug --disable-zip-debug-info
>> $ make
>>
>> which results in:
>>
>> ## Starting hotspot
>> make[5]: *** No rule to make target `/Users/staffan/mercurial/hotspot-rt-jdk/build/macosx-x86_64-normal-server-slowdebug/hotspot/dist/jre/lib/amd64/libjsig.dylib.dSYM', needed by `generic_export'.  Stop.
>> make[4]: *** [export_debug] Error 2
>> make[3]: *** [all_debug_universal] Error 2
>> make[2]: *** [universal_debug] Error 2
>
> I'm presuming that you're trying with a forest that includes
> closed repos. If so, then you'll need the jdk/make/closed change
> in order for the build to work.

Yes, I was running with closed repos. I now have the additional patch, but what I get now is a bit strange. The libjvm.dylib.dSYM directory should be copied from
build/macosx-x86_64-normal-server-slowdebug/hotspot/bsd_amd64_compiler2/debug/ to
build/macosx-x86_64-normal-server-slowdebug/hotspot/dist/jre/lib/server/ to
build/macosx-x86_64-normal-server-slowdebug/jdk/lib/server/

But what I get is for each copy, the result is different:

build/macosx-x86_64-normal-server-slowdebug/hotspot/bsd_amd64_compiler2/debug/libjvm.dylib.dSYM/:
Contents

build/macosx-x86_64-normal-server-slowdebug/hotspot/dist/jre/lib/server/libjvm.dylib.dSYM/:
Info.plist	libjvm.dylib

build/macosx-x86_64-normal-server-slowdebug/jdk/lib/server/libjvm.dylib.dSYM:
libjvm.dylib

Looks like the recursive copy isn't working as expected.

>> Another comment: There are some makefile logic for BSD, non-darwin platforms. Have you had a chance to test this logic? (hotspot/make/bsd/makefiles/vm.make)
>
> No, I don't have access to a BSD (non-darwin) platform. However, I'll
> be pinging Dmitri Samersoff to ask a few questions...

OK. If we can't verify the logic, then maybe should leave it out.

>> Nit: hotspot/make/bsd/makefiles/vm.make: L345, L356: wrong indentation.
>
> These are make cmd lines:
>
> 344   else
> 345         $(QUIETLY) $(OBJCOPY) --only-keep-debug $@ $(LIBJVM_DEBUGINFO)
> 346         $(QUIETLY) $(OBJCOPY) --add-gnu-debuglink=$(LIBJVM_DEBUGINFO) $@
> 347     ifeq ($(STRIP_POLICY),all_strip)
>
> so they have to be indented by a tab. Very ugly, but necessary.

Ouch. :-(

/Staffan