RFR (M): JDK-8038587: [TESTBUG] Create CDS tests to exercise region sizes and classlist

Mikhailo Seledtsov mikhailo.seledtsov at oracle.com
Tue Apr 1 21:06:46 UTC 2014

Hi David,

  Thank you for review and your feedback.

The intent of this test is sanity check of basic functionality, making
sure the shared classes are loaded w/o crashes or errors. Even though
creating a shared archive with -Xshare:dump does exercise loading of the
classes from the classlist, I believe SQE should verify it, by
explicitly performing this operation. In my experience I have found that
basic tests often find interesting bugs.

I did drop the attempt to instantiate classes, because  the amount of
classes in the class list that have default constructors and instantiate
successfully is quite small, and not worth the trouble. Many classes
fail instantiation due to the absence of UI, or other valid reasons.
What I have found, however, as part of this exercise, is that the
default SE classlist is optimized for the client, not the server.

As for classes that are part of the classlist, but are really missing
from rt.jar: will you consider this to be a bug?

Thank you,
Misha