RFR (XL) 8046070 - Class Data Sharing clean up and refactoring, round #3

Jiangli Zhou jiangli.zhou at oracle.com
Tue Aug 12 15:46:10 UTC 2014

Hi Ioi and Mandy,

Please see comments below.

On 08/11/2014 11:10 PM, Ioi Lam wrote:

>> I would like to avoid adding private methods for VM to call
>> as fewer as possible.
>>
>> SecureClassLoader.getProtectionDomain(URL)
>>    Can you use the existing private getProtectionDomain(CodeSource)
>>    method instead?  The VM can call the public CodeSource(URL,
>> CodeSigner[])
>>    constructor.  I doubt an additional up call from the VM to Java
>>    may cause performance degradation as much while I think it's
>>    a good tradeoff.  It also allows this be extended to signed JARs
>>    if it's considered.
>>
>> Manifest.getManifest(byte[] buf)
>>    Is saving one additional upcall from VM to Java very critical?
>>    I prefer the VM to use public APIs to minimize such dependency
>>    in the library.
>>
>> Launcher.getFileURL(String)
>>    This is a convenient method for VM.  If VM calls getFileURL(File),
>>    it's still a new dependency.  Is there any other way doing it?
>>
> Hi Mandy,
>
> I agree we should avoid adding new private Java methods if possible.
> I've rewritten the 3 calls in C.

I also agree we should avoid adding new private Java methods if possible.

Just some background why we added the Java code. These new Java methods
are in performance critical path. Native->Java->Native->Java are
expensive transitions. Doing the logic in C means we will have multiple
expensive transitions in the code. Adding a private method and doing it
in Java would also allows the JIT to compile the java code and further
optimize the performance, while doing it in native prevents that.

Thanks,
Jiangli