RFR: 8067306: Improve STATIC_ASSERT

Kim Barrett kim.barrett at oracle.com
Fri Dec 12 17:04:10 UTC 2014

On Dec 12, 2014, at 6:47 AM, Stefan Karlsson <stefan.karlsson at oracle.com> wrote:

> On 2014-12-12 08:30, Kim Barrett wrote:
>> Please review this enhancement to the hotspot STATIC_ASSERT() macro.
>>
>> […]
>>
>> CR:
>>
>> Webrev:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kbarrett/8067306/webrev/
>
> Why do you use '(cond) ? true : false' instead of just '(cond)'?
>
> 243     STATIC_ASSERT_FAILURE< (Cond) ? true : false >::value ] \

Paranoia regarding ancient tool chains.  There are purportedly some
which don't do the implicit conversion to bool properly in this
context.  I don't know if we actually care about such...

> Why do you have this line at the end of the define:
>
> 244   /* */

Force of habit; this is something I picked up ages ago, providing an
easy to spot marker for the end of a multi-line macro body.  I don't
mind removing it.

Hm, I also forgot to right adjust all the line continuation markers,
which seems to be the preferred style in hotspot code.  I've never
liked that sort of formatting thing because it can lead to unnecessary
(and potentially large) diff expansion during maintenance, but it *is*
the local style...