Thread::current() and JNI pthread interaction

David Simms david.simms at oracle.com
Wed Feb 5 08:15:18 PST 2014

This looks like a bug unfortunately, the JNI documentation doesn't
appear to warn against this kind of use.

The code in question:

	static void make_key()
	{
		pthread_key_create(&key, detachThread);
	}

	/**
	 *  pthread key destructor (runs after the JVM current thread key is already destroyed)
	 */
	static void detachThread(void *p)
	{
		if (p != 0)
		{
			JavaVM *jvm = 0;
			JNIEnv *env = (JNIEnv *) p;
			env->GetJavaVM(&jvm);
			*jint result = jvm->DetachCurrentThread();*

The JVM current thread is already toast as you suggest.

I believe Andreas that you might already have a simple pain free
work-around from the JVM. Given that the problem only appears on certain
platforms, there may be other case where people migrate to 64 bit and
find this nasty crash. Be worth filing a bug...

Cheers
/David Simms