Thread::current() and JNI pthread interaction

Andreas Eriksson andreas.eriksson at oracle.com
Wed Feb 5 08:38:35 PST 2014

Thanks for looking at this.

I filed a bug at https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8033696.
A correction to my original mail is that it is not Thread::~Thread that
resets the thread pointer in the TLS, it is pthreads itself.

I did find a way to change the JVM to workaround this problem:
By creating a destructor for the thread pointer TLS we can restore the
value after pthread has set it to NULL.
Then when the native code destructor is run the thread pointer is still
intact.

Restoring a value in a pthread TLS is explicitly supported according to
the man page for pthread_key_create, and it will call the destructor for
the restored value again.
One would have to keep some extra state to make sure the destructor is
only called twice, since a pthread implementation is allowed to call the
destructor infinite times as long as the value is restored.

On my system pthread calls the destructor a maximum of four times, so
the attached JVM patch was sufficient as a proof of concept.

Regards,
Andreas