RFR 4505697: nsk/jdi/ExceptionEvent/_itself_/exevent006 and exevent008 tests fail with InvocationTargetException

serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com
Fri Feb 14 22:13:50 UTC 2014

On 2/14/14 12:33 PM, Daniel D. Daugherty wrote:
> On 2/14/14 11:46 AM, serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com wrote:
>> Jaroslav,
>>
>> It looks good in general modulo indent comments from Dan.
>>
>> But I have a doubt that acquiring the JvmtiThreadState_lock is needed
>> or right thing to do in the JvmtiExport::clear_detected_exception().
>> It seems, both clear_exception_detected() and
>> set_exception_detected() are always
>> called on current thread and so, it has to be safe to do without
>> acquiring any locks.
>
> My JVM/TI-foo is rusty, but I believe that JvmtiThreadState stuff
> can also be queried/modified by other threads so grabbing the
> associated lock is a good idea.

The lock synchronization is cooperative.
It does not help much if the lock is not acquired in other places.
I can be wrong, but I've not found yet any place in the code where the
clear_exception_detected() and set_exception_detected() are called
under protection of the JvmtiThreadState_lock.

Thanks,
Serguei