RFR: 8036128 Remove deprecated VM flag UseVMInterruptibleIO

frederic parain frederic.parain at oracle.com
Mon Mar 10 15:25:20 UTC 2014

Karen,

my answers are in-lined below.

On 07/03/2014 20:02, Karen Kinnear wrote:
> Frederic,
>
> This looks great. And thank you so much.
>
> Questions for you:
>
> 1. os::read
> Yes we need to clean this up. Thank you for pointing that out.
> I am concerned that if we skip state transitions when making OS calls that can block, that
> we can possibly increase pause times trying to get to a safepoint, or possibly interfere with
> requests for thread suspension. I updated 6523731 to include this in our cleaning up our
> thread state transitions.

Thanks for updating the CR.

> 2. os::connect
> The change to RESTARTABLE confuses me. I expected to see the current two step handling
> in case of an EINTR (see 6343810 - at the very end it describes why this is Solaris-specific).
> Or are you removing that because this will only be used internally and in debug mode and not
> from the JDK soon?

Thank you for catching that. As far as I understand it, the two steps
handling was there to support non-blocking sockets, which are not used
by JVM code, and of the os::connect() is not used by JDK code anymore.
However, I've restored the initial two-steps handling and added comments
to explain the semantic of the different errno values. The previous
behavior of os::connect() is now preserved.
The new webrev is here:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~fparain/8036128/webrev.01/

> 3. jstat
> I didn't see this in your tested list - and I believe that the way this works is dynamic, so you are probably
> ok, but - since you removed perfcounters
> - what happens if your ~/.jvmstat/jstat_options was referencing this data?
> and you run jstat -options and then try to dump these options?

I tested with jcmd (jcmd PerfCounter.print <vmid>) and didn't noticed
anything wrong. However, I don't how to use jvmstat/jstat to read
performance counters. This feature is not documented in jstat web
page:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/tools/share/jstat.html

Thanks,

Fred