[9] RFR (S): 8060147: SIGSEGV in Metadata::mark_on_stack() while marking metadata in ciEnv

Mikael Gerdin mikael.gerdin at oracle.com
Thu Oct 30 11:59:01 UTC 2014

Vladimir,

On 2014-10-30 11:27, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> Mikael, Coleen,
>
> Thanks for the feedback!
>
> As I wrote to Roland, it seems keeping klass_holder for every
> ciInstanceKlass for VM anonymous classes should solve the problem I
> encountered. It doesn't cover ciMethodData though.

Ok, I think using klass_holder should be fine for normal classes as
well, since klass_holder returns the class loader oop in that case.

Does it need to cover ciMethodData? Since MethodData is allocated in the
ClassLoader's (or VM anon class) metaspace it should have the same
liveness as the Method, and the InstanceKlass and all the other metadata.

Or does a compilation reference MethodData objects for other methods,
for example when inlining? In that case you need to be sure that we
create a ciInstanceKlass for the method holder of the inlined method.

/Mikael