RFR(XS): 8144536: Clean up Unified Logging test directory

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu Dec 3 06:03:48 UTC 2015

Hi Rachel,

On 3/12/2015 6:45 AM, Rachel Protacio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a short cleanup of the test/runtime/logging directory,
> consolidating two options' tests into one file each. Also improved the
> @run directives as per the recent emails on the topic.

Test consolidation seems fine.

What is the story with the use of "driver"? IIRC it means that none of
the VM args supplied to the jtreg invocation are passed through - right?
Which suggests to me that we may not be testing the logging adequately -
for example if the default VM is server and we never pass through
-client, and there are log statements specific to client code paths (or
a specific gc or something else controlled by a VM option) then we never
test them. May not be applicable for safepoint logging or VMOperation
logging, but it means we need to carefully consider when "driver" make
sense to be used.