RFR: 8142979: Add programmatic enable/disable methods to Unified Logging

Max Ockner max.ockner at oracle.com
Wed Dec 9 17:11:08 UTC 2015

Hello Marcus,

I looked over your code in logConfiguration.cpp

What is the purpose of limiting the number of tags that can be
configured through a given call to configure_stdout? I understand that
previously any change made to the configuration would have reset it
entirely, and as a result you could restrict the number of tags in the
configuration.  I can't tell if you want to restrict the number of tags
in the configuration or the number of tags processed by
configure_stdout, because those restrictions are no longer equivalent
now that you can configure_stdout can add to the configuration without
clearing it.

This question also applies to the handling of multiple Xlog options.

Thanks,
Max