[9] RFR (M) 8054888: Runtime: Add Diagnostic Command that prints the class hierarchy

Karen Kinnear karen.kinnear at oracle.com
Fri Feb 6 21:21:14 UTC 2015

Chris,

So I was curious - I was thinking you would printing the hex address of the j.l.ClassLoader class rather than the cld so that if folks were to look
at a heap dump later it might be meaningful to them. Is it unlikely that they would ever want to correlate those?

On Feb 6, 2015, at 3:15 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:

> I was also thinking it might be a good idea to indicate what the hex value is, although still have figured out the best way of doing this. Maybe just a simple comment before the output. Keep in mind that eventually other DCMDS will also include the cld to help uniquiely identify classes across dcmd output. Also keep in mind your earlier suggestion:
>
> java.lang.Object/0x12345600
> |--java.io.Serializable/0x12345601
> |--java.util.RandomAccess/0x12345602
> |--java.lang.Iterable/0x12345603
> | |--java.util.Collection/0x12345604
> | | |--java.util.List/0x12345605
> |--java.util.AbstractCollection/0x12345606
> | |  implements java.util.Collection/0x12345604
> | |  implements java.lang.Iterable/0x12345603
> | |--java.util.AbstractList/0x12345607
> | |    implements java.util.List/0x12345605
> | | |--java.util.Arrays$ArrayList/0x12345608
>
> With additions to GC.class_stats:
>
> Index Super ClassLoader        ClassName
>     1    -1 0x00000007c0034c48 java.lang.Object/0x12345600
>     2     1 0x00000007c0034c48 java.util.List/0x12345605
>     3    31 0x00000007c0034c48 java.util.AbstractList/0x12345607
>
> And GC.class_histogram:
>
>  num     #instances         #bytes  class name
>    1:           945         117736  java.lang.Object/0x12345600
>    2:           442          50352  java.util.List/0x12345605
>    3:           499          25288  java.util.AbstractList/0x12345607
>
> I think in your case you assumed we would create a unique identifier for each class, but then we settled on just classname + ClassLoader identifier of some sort, and the CLD* works for that. So replace your hex class ID in the above with the hex CLD*.
>
> Also something Karen had said is just now starting to sink in and make sense to me:
>
> |-sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader/null (0xyyy)
> |-myapp/0xyyy
>
> I think the idea here is that when printing a ClassLoader subclass, you include two CLDs. The first is for the ClassLoader that loaded the class, and the second is the CLD for the ClassLoader subclass itself. Thus the above indicates that myapp was loaded by 0xyyy, which is the sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader, which was loaded by the null ClassLoader.
I apologize - I don't remember what I said. But I am not sure we need that level of complexity. I think I was asking that one of the dcmds that gives
information could print information like 0xabc "a sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader" or "a WLS.blah.GenericClassLoader" if we don't want to include
that everywhere. Mostly people want to know the name of the class loader. Since they don't yet have names, they want to know the type of the
classloader. So that string "a MyClassLoader" would be more meaningful than the 0xabc - except that if they
have 5 of those they need the uniqueness. So personally I think I was proposing the
  java.base, 0xA/"a MyClassLoader", iface).

But I would defer to Staffan if he suggests something else.

thanks for your patience,
Karen