RFR(s): 6764713: Enlarge the age field in object headers to allow a higher MaxTenuringThreshold

Tom Benson tom.benson at oracle.com
Fri Feb 13 15:37:58 UTC 2015

Hi,
Based on comments here and elsewhere on possible future uses for this
unused bit (in the 64-bit version), I'm more inclined to close both
6764713 and 6719225 with no change.  With a comment along the lines of
"evolution of the JVM since the time the age field was reduced has
revealed potentially more valuable uses of the bit."

However, if there are supporters of a larger MaxTenuringThreshold
lurking, I'd like to hear their point of view as well.
Thanks,
Tom