RFR(XS) for PeriodicTask_lock cleanup (8072439)

Markus Gronlund markus.gronlund at oracle.com
Tue Feb 24 15:13:22 UTC 2015

Hi Dan,

I have taken a look with your suggested patch – I think your suggestion looks very good.

I guess the original hang happened because the PeriodicTask_lock was attempted to be acquired by a JavaThread, but the PeriodicTask_lock was still held by someone else. Since the PeriodicTask_lock was taken with “Mutex::_no_safepoint_checks” it meant the JavaThread bypassed the callback for a potentially pending safepoint and instead called parked upon the PeriodicTask_lock straight away...

I think this lock should definitely be taken the way you have done in the patch.

I also think the placement of OrderAccess::fence() might have been due to some of the constructs being racy, take this for instance:

void WatcherThread::start() {

  assert(PeriodicTask_lock->owned_by_self(), "PeriodicTask_lock required");

  if (watcher_thread() == NULL && _startable) { _startable is visible since its the same thread

    _should_terminate = false; <<----------------------------- this is set but will not be visible to the WatcherThread being launched (it’s  a 0 in the static initializer however, so it is still “safe”)

    // Create the single instance of WatcherThread

    new WatcherThread();

// above the constructor for WatcherThread will start the thread, and the WatcherThread::run() might check _should_terminate before the launching thread releases the PeriodicTask_lock. Not that it will be an issue here, since _should_terminate is set to 0 in its static initializer. But thanks Dan for moving this _should_terminate lower in the loop, at least the WatcherThread will need now need a call to sleep() before reaching it (and sleep needs the PeriodicTask_lock)

But for the construct in WatcherThread::stop(), there is no need (any more?) for the OrderAccess::fence(), I think it can be safely removed.

Can you also remove the comment in thread.hpp : 704 that says:

  volatile static bool _should_terminate; // updated without holding lock

As this is not the case any longer.

Otherwise it looks good!

Thanks for fixing this

Cheers