RFR 8042668: GC Support for shared heap ranges in CDS (RE: JDK-8059092)

Per Liden per.liden at oracle.com
Mon Jun 1 14:35:00 UTC 2015

Hi Tom,

On 2015-05-29 23:30, Tom Benson wrote:
> Hi,
> Please review these changes for JDK-8042668, which constitute the GC
> support for JDK-8059092 for storing interned strings in CDS archives
> (JEP 250).  The RFR for JDK-8059092 was recently posted by Jiangli Zhou,
> and it would be best if overall comments could go to that thread, with
> GC-specific comments here.
>
> JBS:   https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8042668
> Webrev:   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/8042668/webrev.00/

Maybe it's just me, but the concept of "recording" feels a bit strange
in this context. May I suggest that we remove the "record" and
"recording" part of the names and instead just call it an "archive" that
we can allocate in? Something like:

class G1ArchiveAllocator ... {
   HeapWord* mem_allocate(...);

   void finalize(...);

};

class G1CollectedHeap ... {
   void begin_archive_mem_allocate();

   bool is_archive_mem_allocation_too_large(...);

   HeapWord* archive_mem_allocate(...);

   void end_archive_mem_allocate(...);

};

g1CollectedHeap.cpp
-------------------

* In G1CollectedHeap::end_record_alloc_range(), shouldn't we delete the
allocator as the last step?

* I guess this change could be skipped, as it makes the comment slightly
malformed.

-        // We ignore humongous regions, we left the humongous set unchanged
+        // We ignore humongous regions.
+        // We left the humongous set unchanged,

g1Allocator.hpp

+ class G1RecordingAllocator : public CHeapObj<mtGC> {
+   friend class VMStructs;

You could skip this friend declaration, since it's not accessed by
VMStructs. Only needed if the class is exposed in the SA.

cheers,
/Per