RFR (s) 8085865: hs_err improvement: Printing /proc/cpuinfo makes too long hs_err files

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Fri Jun 12 01:48:30 UTC 2015

Hi Coleen,

On 12/06/2015 2:06 AM, Coleen Phillimore wrote:

> The cpuinfo on one linux/x86 machine now prints:
>
> /proc/cpuinfo:
> model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
>
> on 32 bit machine:
> *
> */proc/cpuinfo:
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5520  @ 2.27GHz
> **
> Other linux platforms are unaffected because they don't print as much
> and information seems not redundant.
>
> Rather than duplicating the pd_print_cpu_info function for all the
> os_cpu/linux* combinations, I added an ifdef.   In os_aix.cpp there's a
> pd_print_cpu_info, which is called from os::print_cpu_info that
> duplicates the information but I didn't touch it.
>
> open webrev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/8085865.01/
> bug link https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8085865

The lead-in line:

2221   st->print("\n/proc/cpuinfo:\n");

seems inappropriate if the new code is executed. Perhaps move it to the
#else part and add:

2227         if (strstr(buf, "model name") != NULL) {
                st->print("\nCPU Model from /proc/cpuinfo:\n");
2228           st->print_raw(buf);

Also do you not want the x86 case to fall-through to printing all of
cpuinfo in case there's some x86 config (hypervisor?) where model name
is not present, rather than just printing nothing?