Fwd: RFR 8073423: Remove LazyClassPathEntry support if no longer needed

Lois Foltan lois.foltan at oracle.com
Wed Jun 24 23:30:15 UTC 2015

On 6/24/2015 1:23 PM, harold seigel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please review this updated webrev for bug JDK-8073423:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8073423.2/
>
> The updated webrev differs from the previous one in two ways:
>
> 1. The LazyBootClassLoader option is deprecated instead of just deleted.
>
> 2. To preserve compatibility, bad jar files detected while setting up
>    the boot class loader path are ignored.  With the previous fix, they
>    caused the JVM to terminate.  (This caused test JTReg test
>    hotspot/test/runtime/LoadClass/LoadClassNegative.java to fail.)

Hi Harold,

Looks good.  Just for my clarification on #2, previously if there was a
bad jar file on the boot class loader's -Xbootclasspath/a, a
LazyClassPathEntry was created and an attempt was not made to open the
bad jar file until there was a need.  Now, that bad jar file is not put
on the boot class path list at all, isn't this a change in behavior?
Someone could have have two .jar files in the -Xbootclasspath/a
directory specified, say bad.jar and good.jar. Today if an attempt to
open bad.jar, a ClassNotFoundException is thrown.  With this change,
bad.jar is no longer on the boot class path and the class being
requested has the potential of being found in good.jar, and the test passes.

Thanks,
Lois