RFR(S) 7127066: Class verifier accepts an invalid class file

Karen Kinnear karen.kinnear at oracle.com
Thu Mar 19 19:33:13 UTC 2015

Harold,

I get it - this only affects instructions that set the type of a local slot since the operand stack is cleared.

So - what about istore?
If we have a local slot that contains a long or double, Frederic reminded me that JVMS 2.6.1 does allow stores to those separate slots,
e.g. an istore. My mental model of this is that it would change the type of the local slot.

Would that mean we would want to check any of the *store bytecodes?

(I know the spec would change for all bytecodes which might be cleaner - I suspect you are being extra cautious about making changes
to reduce risk of breaking something in the field).

thanks,
Karen