Code Review for JEP 259: Stack-Walking API

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Thu Nov 12 16:58:06 UTC 2015

> On Nov 11, 2015, at 3:48 PM, John Rose <john.r.rose at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> I added it to make backtraces for internally generated functions more informative.
> Since the stack walker will be able to surface BCIs directly, there will be no need for it.

I see.

We can add StackFrame::getBCI in the future.  Since this is for diagnosability, StackFrame::toString can include bci for unknown source, something like this:

Test$$Lambda$1/1020391880.accept(Unknown Source bci:4)
java.util.Spliterators$ArraySpliterator.forEachRemaining(Spliterators.java:948)
java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$Head.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:591)

Mandy