(S) RFR: 8159461: bigapps/Kitchensink/stressExitCode hits assert: Must be VMThread or JavaThread

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Fri Aug 5 02:28:47 UTC 2016

Hi Volker,

Thanks for looking at this.

On 5/08/2016 1:48 AM, Volker Simonis wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> thanks for doing this change on all platforms.
> The fix looks good. Maybe you can just extend the following comment with
> something like:
>
>  //  Note that the SR_lock plays no role in this suspend/resume protocol.
>  //  It is only used in SR_handler as a thread termination indicator if
> NULL.

Darn this code is confusing - too many "SR"'s :( I have added

//  Note that the SR_lock plays no role in this suspend/resume protocol,
//  but is checked for NULL in SR_handler as a thread termination indicator.

Updated webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/8159461/webrev.v2/

This also reminded me to follow up on why the Solaris SR_handler is
different and I found it is not actually installed as a direct signal
handler, but is called from the real signal handler if dealing with a
JavaThread or the VMThread. Consequently the Solaris version of the
SR_handler can not encounter this specific bug and so I have reverted
the changes to os_solaris.cpp