(S) RFR: 8159461: bigapps/Kitchensink/stressExitCode hits assert: Must be VMThread or JavaThread

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Aug 8 23:57:35 UTC 2016

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the review.

On 9/08/2016 2:07 AM, Daniel D. Daugherty wrote:
> On 8/4/16 8:28 PM, David Holmes wrote:
>> Hi Volker,
>>
>> Thanks for looking at this.
>>
>> On 5/08/2016 1:48 AM, Volker Simonis wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> thanks for doing this change on all platforms.
>>> The fix looks good. Maybe you can just extend the following comment with
>>> something like:
>>>
>>>  //  Note that the SR_lock plays no role in this suspend/resume
>>> protocol.
>>>  //  It is only used in SR_handler as a thread termination indicator if
>>> NULL.
>>
>> Darn this code is confusing - too many "SR"'s :( I have added
>>
>> //  Note that the SR_lock plays no role in this suspend/resume protocol,
>> //  but is checked for NULL in SR_handler as a thread termination
>> indicator.
>>
>> Updated webrev:
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/8159461/webrev.v2/
>
> src/share/vm/runtime/thread.cpp
>     L380:   _SR_lock = NULL;
>         I was expecting the _SR_lock to be freed and NULL'ed earlier
>         based on the discussion in the bug report. Since the crashing
>         assert() happens in a race between the JavaThread destructor
>         the NULL'ing of the _SR_lock field, I was expecting the _SR_lock
>         field to be dealt with as early as possible in the Thread
>         destructor (or even earlier; see my last comment).

I will respond after that comment.

>  src/os/linux/vm/os_linux.cpp
>     L4010:   // mask is changed as part of thread termination. Check the
>         grammar?: "Check the current" -> "Check that the current"

Will change.

>     L4015:   if (thread->SR_lock() == NULL)
>     L4016:     return;
>         style nit: multi-line if-statements require '{' and '}'
>         Please add the braces or make this a single line if-statement.
>         I would prefer the braces. :-)

Will fix.

>         Isn't there still a window between the completion of the
>         JavaThread destructor and where the Thread destructor sets
>         _SR_lock = NULL?

See below.

>     L4020:   OSThread* osthread = thread->osthread();
>         Not your bug. This code assumes that osthread != NULL.
>         Maybe it needs to be more robust.

Depends what kind of impossibilities we want to guard against. :) There
should be no possible way a signal can be sent to a thread that doesn't
even have a osThread as it means we never successfully started/attached
the thread.

> src/os/aix/vm/os_aix.cpp
>     L2731:   if (thread->SR_lock() == NULL)
>     L2732:     return;
>         Same style nit.
>
>         Same race.
>
>     L2736:   OSThread* osthread = thread->osthread();
>         Same robustness comment.
>
> src/os/bsd/vm/os_bsd.cpp
>     L2759:   if (thread->SR_lock() == NULL)
>     L2760:     return;
>         Same style nit.
>
>         Same race.
>
>     L2764:   OSThread* osthread = thread->osthread();
>         Same robustness comment.
>
> It has been a very long time since I've dealt with races in the
> suspend/resume code so I'm probably very rusty with this code.
> If the _SR_lock is only used by the JavaThread suspend/resume
> protocol, then we could consider free'ing and NULL'ing the field
> in the JavaThread destructor (as the last piece of work).
>
> That should eliminate the race that was being observed by the
> SR_handler() in this bug. It will open a very small race where
> is_Java_thread() can return true, the _SR_lock field is !NULL,
> but the _SR_lock has been deleted.

Given that it should have been impossible to get into the SR_handler in
the first place from this code I was trying to minimize the disruption
to the existing logic. Moving the delete/NULLing to just before the call
to os::free_thread() fixes the crashes that had been observed. I was not
trying to make the entire destruction sequence safe wrt. the SR_handler.

My major concern with deleting the SR_lock much earlier is the potential
race condition that I have previously outlined in:

where there is no protection against a target thread terminating. The
sooner it terminates and deletes the SR_lock the more likely we may
attempt to lock a deleted lock!