RFR 9: 8087286 Need a way to handle control-C and possibly some other signals

Gerard Ziemski gerard.ziemski at oracle.com
Mon Feb 1 18:58:25 UTC 2016

hi Roger,

I love that we are adding this Signal object. I have several questions, but please do not take them as criticism, I’m just seeking clarification and providing feedback:

#1 Re: "Consumers for signals that are unknown or reserved by the Java implementation can not be registered.”

- Why don't we want to allow unknown signals? This will make us have to update our implementation if we want to support new or platform specific signals in the future.

#2 Re: "java.util.Signal.raise()”

- That API raises the signal in the current process, but what about sending a signal to another process for interprocess communication?

#3 Re: "Signal.of("SIGINT”)”

- Is this a factory method that returns the same object if called more than once?

#4 Re: "public boolean unregister(Consumer<Signal> consumer)”

- Why is this API returning a value? Wouldn’t having a Signal API like “public Consumer<Signal> getConsumer()” be more flexible?

#5 Re: "public void registerDefault(Consumer<Signal> consumer)”

- Do we really need this API? Can’t the same be achieved with the plain vanilla “public void register(Consumer<Signal> consumer)” I guess I don’t really see what makes this API special.

cheers