RFR 8145127: VM warning: WaitForMultipleObjects timed out (0) ...

Daniel D. Daugherty daniel.daugherty at oracle.com
Tue Jan 5 17:33:52 UTC 2016

Happy New Year!

 > http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~igerasim/8145127/01/webrev/

src/os/windows/vm/os_windows.cpp
     L3923:         Atomic::cmpxchg((jint)GetCurrentThreadId(),
&process_exiting, 0);
         What's the return size of GetCurrentThreadId()? Are we
         down casting a larger size into a 'jint'? If so, that
         might allow more than one thread into this code when we
         only want one...

         Also please consider adding a comment above this line.
         Perhaps something like:

         // Atomically set process_exiting before the critical section
         // to increase the visibility between racing threads.

     L3998:             if (portion_count > MAXIMUM_WAIT_OBJECTS) {
     L3999:                 portion_count = MAXIMUM_WAIT_OBJECTS;
         Wrong indent; should be two spaces relative to L3998.

     L4013:               portion_count = handle_count - i;
         Please consider adding a comment for this error case.
         Perhaps something like:
         // Reset portion_count so we close the remaining
         // handles due to this error.

     L4030:     if (OrderAccess::load_acquire(&process_exiting) != 0 &&
     L4031:         process_exiting != (jint)GetCurrentThreadId()) {
     L4032:       while (true) {
     L4033:         // Some other thread is about to call exit(), so we
     L4034:         // don't let the current thread proceed to exit() or
_endthreadex()
         The comment on L4033-4 is slightly misplaced now. It
         should be between L4031 and L4032.

Thumbs up modulo the GetCurrentThreadId() return size question
above. If that size is OK and you choose to make the comment
changes, I don't need to see another webrev.

Dan