RFR(L): 8146401: Clean up oop.hpp: add inline directives and fix header files

Lindenmaier, Goetz goetz.lindenmaier at sap.com
Fri Jan 8 07:28:43 UTC 2016

Yes.

> it seems to me that if
> you want it inlined then you must include the .inline.hpp anywhere it is
> needed. Anything else seems a bad-aid.
But I think not the caller should decide whether it's to be inlined,
but the implementor of the method (and next the compiler).
As you describe, the caller has to decide which header to include.
So the caller has to know implementation details of the callee,
which is contrary to the encapsulation described in that documentation.

If you add the 'inline' keyword in the header, the compiler enforces
that the includes are in a way that it can do what the implementor
of the callee / of the method to be inlined intended.

> Maybe
> precompiled headers messes with that somehow
Actually, you are right.  Oop.inline.hpp is not in precompiled.hpp, nor
is it dragged in by some other .inline.hpp header.
I would assume this is a remnant of the problems with this header.
But if it was listed there, it would make a difference.

To put it the other way round: do you think all the places I had to
clean up are well founded decisions not to include the methods
from oop.inline.hpp?
Before my change, the caller of obj_at_put() from objArrayOop.hpp
had to include oop.inline.hpp to get it properly inlined.  Seems very
unintuitive to me.
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~goetz/wr16/8146401-oopInline-rt/webrev.01/src/share/vm/oops/objArrayOop.hpp.udiff.html
(I'll add the inline keyword in a follow-up change for gc files, in case
this change is accepted.)

Best regards,
  Goetz.