RFR: 8146009: "pure virtual method called" with using new GC logging mechanism

Kim Barrett kim.barrett at oracle.com
Tue Jan 19 19:25:52 UTC 2016

On Jan 19, 2016, at 8:58 AM, Marcus Larsson <marcus.larsson at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please review the following patch to fix an issue in UL causing the VM to crash during shutdown.
>
> The problem is that the static LogStdoutOutput is deinitialized before the last use of it (G1 concurrent thread tries to log very late during VM shutdown). The solution is to make sure neither LogStdoutOutput nor LogStderrOutput are deinitialized during the full lifetime of the VM. To accomplish this I've changed the storage from static objects to static pointers to heap instances that are allocated & initialized on first use [0]. These instances are never deleted and can always be used. Also updated LogConfiguration::finalize to disable all file outputs before deleting & freeing them.
>
> Webrev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mlarsson/8146009/webrev.00/
>
> Issue:
>
> Testing:
> - local runs of the reproducer (500+ iterations without crashing)
> - JPRT
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus
>
> [0]: https://isocpp.org/wiki/faq/ctors#static-init-order-on-first-use

src/share/vm/logging/logOutput.cpp
  32 LogOutput* LogOutput::stdout_output() {
  33   static LogOutput* instance = new LogStdoutOutput();
  34   return instance;
  35 }
  36
  37 LogOutput* LogOutput::stderr_output() {
  38   static LogOutput* instance = new LogStderrOutput();
  39   return instance;
  40 }

Function scoped statics may not be thread-safe.

They are thread-safe by default for gcc4.x (there's a compiler option
to disable that).  I'm pretty sure they are not for older versions of
Visual Studio, though C++11 requires thread-safe initialization so
some relatively recent version of VS probably makes them so.  I don't
know about Solaris or other platforms.

The failure situation this change is attempting to address may still
technically invoke undefined behavior with the change.  I think that
referencing the function scoped static during exit processing may be
theoretically problematic because the variable may have been
destroyed.  It likely works despite that, since the destructor for a
pointer-typed value probably trivially does nothing.

This suggests that even thread-safe statics may not make the
stdxxx_output functions strictly correct.

Why do we still have gc (or any other) threads running during a
shutdown that does exit processing[1]?  That seems like the real bug
here.  Shouldn't we either have stopped all threads before exit
processing, or not be doing exit processing at all and instead be
aborting?

[1] By exit processing I mean the distinction between exit(3) et al
and abort(3).