Review Request JDK-8136930 Examine implications for custom launchers, equivalent of java -X options in particular

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Fri Jun 10 19:53:28 UTC 2016

On 10/06/2016 17:38, Daniel D. Daugherty wrote:

> I just re-read this...
>
> A space in the VM option? As in '-addmods<space><mod_name>'? That's a
> completely new idea for VM options processing and one that we took
> great pains to avoid when '-agentlib' and '-agentpath' were added
> back in the JDK1.5 timeframe.
>
> Alan, surely you remember this from the early JSR-163 and JVM/TI days...
The main effort here is to move these options down to the VM and avoid a
repeat of the past where non-`java` launchers used different options or
properties compared to the launcher. Whether the code that directly acts
on the options is in libjvm or in java code is just implementation
detail (and could change over time).

The white spec issue is messy but that needs to be part of a separate
effort to sort out the new option names and syntax. Jon has been looking
into this.

-Alan.