RFR: 8150044: Generate classlists at build-time

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed May 4 14:34:59 UTC 2016

On 04/05/2016 15:05, Ioi Lam wrote:
> :
>
> Regarding the JDK changes, in HelloClasslist.java:
>
> Maybe add a comment about how/why you choose this particular set of
> operations? When the JDK evolves in the future, how should this file
> be changed?
>
> I notice that no GUI classes are used. Is the reason (a) GUI classes
> are not important anymore, or (b) the build would fail in a headless
> environment if GUI classes were used by HelloClasslist.java?
Good questions on what to put into HelloClasslist. For now, I think what
Claes has is good. The important thing is that it captures the classes
that are loaded during startup, esp with the module system being
initialized as part of VM startup, also anything using lambda or streams
means a lot of classes are loaded. So I think it's a good start and I
doubt we want to put too much into it as otherwise the #classes will be
huge and we will be back to a huge archive again.

Hard to know what to say about UI applications and getting something
that is representative of modern applications. There is nothing stopping
anyone creating their own classlist of course.

-Alan.