RFR (M) 8155951: VM crash in nsk/jvmti/RedefineClasses/StressRedefine: assert failed: Corrupted constant pool

Coleen Phillimore coleen.phillimore at oracle.com
Mon May 16 16:28:23 UTC 2016

David, Thank you for looking at this change.

On 5/15/16 9:51 PM, David Holmes wrote:
> Hi Coleen,
>
> On 13/05/2016 4:14 AM, Coleen Phillimore wrote:
>> 8151066: assert(0 <= i && i < length()) failed: index out of bounds
>> isn't thread safe, use method constant pool because constant pool
>> merging doesn't make equivalent cpCaches because of invokedynamic
>>
>> I had to make these changes together.   See bugs for more details.
>>
>> open webrev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/8155951/webrev
>> bug link https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8155951
>> bug link https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8151066
>
> In general the locking approach seems okay - as long as all mutating
> actions on the constantpool are being guarded with this locking.
>
> But I'm concerned that you are using a bit in _misc_flags for this
> mutable state. It isn't clear to me when the other bits in _misc_flags
> might be set but I'm assuming only during initial class parsing, or
> some other single-threaded use? Putting a mutable bit into such a flag
> set is fragile and can only be done once.

I was uneasy about this too.  Most of the _misc_flags are set during
initialization but there are a couple that are set while the vm is
running.   I moved _is_being_redefined to a bool sized gap just about
the _misc_flags, which makes me more confident of the state of this
field when doing locking.

Retesting this small change with StressRedefine in a loop.

open webrev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/8155951.02/webrev

Thanks,
Coleen