RFR(M): 8169373: Work around linux NPTL stack guard error.

Lindenmaier, Goetz goetz.lindenmaier at sap.com
Wed Nov 30 07:57:28 UTC 2016

Hi Dan,

> Thumbs up! I don't need to see a new webrev if you choose
> to fix the minor comments above.
I anyways did a new one fixing the comments:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~goetz/wr16/8169373-ppc-stackFix/webrev.06/
Would you mind sponsoring this change?

I took the minimum stack sizes from my experimental runs where
I had removed the automatic resizing to find the really needed space.
If I put something smaller there, I could as well put '0' ... as
_java_thread_min_stack_allowed = MAX2(_java_thread_min_stack_allowed,
                                        JavaThread::stack_guard_zone_size() +
                                        JavaThread::stack_shadow_zone_size() +
                                        (4 * BytesPerWord COMPILER2_PRESENT(+ 2)) * 4 * K);
will fix it.
This code effectively limits the usable stack size to
   (4 * BytesPerWord COMPILER2_PRESENT(+ 2)) * 4 * K)
which makes the initialization of _java_thread_min_stack_allowed with platform
values pointless.

I'll open a new bug for the follow-up stack issue, probably tomorrow.
I don't feel like addressing testing all the possible error codes, as
they probably should be fixed in more places, and there is no issue
pending currently.  Maybe it should be fixed in jdk10 at some point.

Best regards,
  Goetz