RFR (M) JDK-8163406: The fixup_module_list must be protected by Module_lock when inserting new entries

Zhengyu Gu zgu at redhat.com
Fri Sep 9 21:06:38 UTC 2016

Hi Lois,

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~lfoltan/bug_jdk8163406/webrev/src/share/vm/classfile/javaClasses.cpp.sdiff.html

838 if (module.is_null()) {
839 // During startup, the module may be NULL only if java.base has not
been defined yet.
840 // Put the class on the fixup_module_list to patch later when the
java.lang.reflect.Module
841 // for java.base is known.
842 assert(!Universe::is_module_initialized(), "Incorrect
java.lang.reflect.Module pre module system initialization");
843 MutexLocker m1(Module_lock, THREAD);
844 // Keep list of classes needing java.base module fixup

Line #842, _module_initialized is set to true just before returning from call_initPhase2() from main thread, so this scenario
can only happen before returning from call_initPhase2(). It seems to me that, at this point, this main thread is the only thread
doing any class loading. Do I miss anything here?

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~lfoltan/bug_jdk8163406/webrev/src/share/vm/classfile/moduleEntry.hpp.sdiff.html
229 static bool javabase_defined() {
230 ModuleEntry* jb = javabase_moduleEntry();
231 return ((jb != NULL) && (jb->module_load_acquire() != NULL));
232 }

I don't think load-acquire is needed here.

Thanks,

-Zhengyu