RFR(S): 8160064: StackWalker implementation added logging option without using UL

Daniel Fuchs daniel.fuchs at oracle.com
Wed Sep 28 14:14:46 UTC 2016

Hi David,

On 28/09/16 13:55, David Holmes wrote:
> On 28/09/2016 10:29 PM, Daniel Fuchs wrote:
>> On 28/09/16 12:47, David Holmes wrote:
>>> I don't subscribe to the "lets turn on all info logging" mode of
>>> operation. I expect people to turn on the logging they are interested
>>> in.
>>>

>> Exactly. There's nothing interesting at the info level.
>
> I view info, debug and trace as three somewhat arbitrary names chosen
> for "basic logging, more detailed logging, and even more detailed
> logging". So for any log tag I would expect to find up to three levels
> of detail - starting at info.

I agree on the principle.

However the traces that exists in the code at this moment are
debug traces. They mostly exist so that you can debug the code
if somehow stack walking acts weirdly in some situation and
you cannot figure why, and suspect something might be wrong
in the native implementation. If I'm not mistaken the trace
that exist today are on the verbose path (at every frame).

To have traces at info level we would need to add new traces.
I am not convinced we should do this just for the purpose of
having something to log at the info level.

best regards,

-- daniel