RFR: 10: 8160638: solaris JVM unable to allocate more than 2GB of direct byte buffers when max heap is <= 2GB

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu Apr 20 01:47:46 UTC 2017

Hi Vladimir,

On 19/04/2017 11:14 PM, Vladimir Kempik wrote:
> 18.04.17 15:22, David Holmes пишет:
>> On 18/04/2017 8:51 PM, Vladimir Kempik wrote:
>>> Sorry if it sounds a bit complicated, it's actually not that much.
>>
>> :)

>>> I don't change heap size here, only location of heap.
>>
>> True, but set_heap_size already does some checking of, and potential
>> adjustment of HeapBaseMinAddress. And it isn't immediately obvious
>> when your checks happen in relation to that code.
>>
> After Jiangli's comment:
>>It’s done via set_ergonmic_flags(), which is before the
> HeapBaseMinAddressConstraintFunc check. If the moved HeapBaseMinAddress
> violates the constraint, it will be caught by the check.
> do you still think it's an issue ?

Jiangli's comment simply confirms that the location is okay with respect
to other checks. My point was that it is not immediately obvious in what
order the various uses of HeapBaseMinAddress occur - you have trace
through the call sequence. Placing the new check/update in the same
function as another check/update seems simpler and clearer to me. But it
is a minor point.

>>> heap size doesn't have much to do with the issue, the issue happens when
>>> compressedOops get enabled, and it usualy happens with heap <=2G.
>>>
>>> for example, if we have 2gb of java heap (with compressed Oops),
>>> starting at 2gb location (so java heap is located from 2gb to 4gb in
>>> memory map) then we are limited with malloc allocations on solaris,
>>> malloc will only allocate until we hit the wall of java heap starting at
>>> 2gb. malloc won't be able to allocate past 4gb limit in this case.
>>> By default the heap is starting at 2gb on amd64, and 6gb on sparcv9,
>>> however 0-4gb space is already used on sparcv9, so sparcv9 has same 2G
>>> of free space before heap base.
>>> since java internals is using this 2gb of c++ heap as well I thought it
>>> would be good to not occupy more than half of that space with Direct
>>> Memory Buffers.
>>
>> So if I understand this right, the direct byte buffers will always be
>> allocated from this before-heap-memory ie below HeapBaseMinAddress, so
>> we're shifting that up to make room for the space requested by
>> MaxDirectMemorySize if it is >2GB.
>>
>> I don't get the 1GB adjustment though - doesn't that reduce what is
>> available for direct byte buffers if "java internals" use more than
>> 1GB itself?
>>
>> I think a picture would paint a thousand words here :)
> Do you think it's better to leave all of initial 2gb c++ heap to java
> internals ?

I'm just trying to establish that the change actually makes
MaxDirectMemorySize memory available for use.