RFR(10): JDK-8178536: OOM ERRORS + SERVICE-THREAD TAKES A PROCESSOR TO 100%

Daniel D. Daugherty daniel.daugherty at oracle.com
Fri Jun 16 17:12:46 UTC 2017

 > Hotspot changes:
 >
 > http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~poonam/8178536/webrev.hotspot/

src/share/vm/services/lowMemoryDetector.cpp
     nit - please update the copyright year before pushing.

     L307:     // call Sensor::trigger(int, MemoryUsage) to send
notification to listeners.
         nit - 'call' -> 'Call'

     L308:     // when OOME occurs and fails to allocate MemoryUsage
object, call
         nit - 'when' -> 'When'

     L328:        // we just clear the OOM pending exception that we
might have encountered
         nit 'we' -> 'We'

     L328, L330-32 - jcheck is going to complain about the trailing
blanks on
         these lines.

Thumbs up on the HotSpot changes, but these low memory situations
are fraught with unexpected failure modes and code paths.

Dan