RFR(XS) 8191369: NMT: Enhance thread stack tracking

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Nov 16 15:46:01 UTC 2017

On 16/11/17 06:58, David Holmes wrote:

> I can't review this in detail as I'm not familiar with NMT workings, but
> have a couple of comments.
>
> On 16/11/2017 8:25 AM, Zhengyu Gu wrote:
>> This is Linux only enhancement for now, can be extended for other
>> platforms. (See bug for details)
>
> I'm concerned about unnecessary platform skew. I added some comments to
> the bug. I think the mincore trick can be used on Solaris and AIX as
> well - but not on OS X / BSD. It may be that VirtualQuery can be used on
> Windows to get the same information - but I'm unclear if the memory
> states support what you're looking for. It would be good to extend this
> to other platforms that will support it.

Sure, but as OpenJDK becomes more open and hopefully more diverse, it
becomes less and less practical to keep everything in step.  I favour
the classic free software approach, which is to encourage people to
create new features and everyone else can fill in the gaps, depending
on how much time and effort is available.  It's this approach that
allows GCC to support a vast range of targets (and hosts) while not
holding back development.  I have consistently argued for this in the
Governing Board.

So, let's get this done.  It's very important for container memory
monitoring, which right now usually means Linux.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer