RFR: 8189171: Move GC argument processing into GC specific classes

Roman Kennke rkennke at redhat.com
Thu Oct 19 19:14:39 UTC 2017

Am 13.10.2017 um 03:20 schrieb David Holmes:
> Hi Roman,
>
> Not a review as GC folk need to do that.
>
> On 13/10/2017 5:59 AM, Roman Kennke wrote:
>> I'm posting it to both hotspot-runtime-dev and hotspot-gc-dev because
>> it touches both areas (i.e. the GC interface).
>>
>> Currently, all GC related argument processing is done in
>> arguments.cpp, littering it with #ifdef INCLUDE_ALL_GCS and all sorts
>> of GC specific methods etc.
>
> From a runtime perspective I like all the GC specific ifdefs and
> settings moved out-of-line of the main argument processing.
>
> From a refactoring perspective I noticed that set_object_alignment()
> no longer calls set_cms_values(). I presume setting it elsewhere is okay?
I totally forgot to reply to this.

What's important is that the CMS alignment values are set after
set_object_alignment() figured out the object alignment. The patch moves
that a little further down the road to the beginning of its GC specific
argument processing, but from GC perspective should be the same. I
looked thoroughly through the involved code paths and cannot see what
could go wrong.

I need one more review. GC folks? The current webrev is:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rkennke/8189171/webrev.01/
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Erkennke/8189171/webrev.01/>

Thanks,
Roman