RFR 8174954: Parameter target type is allowed access after a module read edge or a package export has occurred after failed resolution

harold seigel harold.seigel at oracle.com
Fri Oct 20 14:17:56 UTC 2017

Hi John,

I used a lock because, if resolution fails, the thread checks if another
thread's resolution either simultaneously succeeded or failed.  I didn't
see how to safely check both success and failure by another thread
without using a lock.

The possibility of successful resolution by one thread while another
thread's resolution failed with a LinkageError exception is unlikely
(probably requiring a perfectly timed change to the module graph).
Could the check for success be done outside of the lock, after the cas?
The resolution_error array element could then be cleared, if need be.

Thanks, Harold