RFR [XS] Subclasses of jdk.jfr.Event loaded from CDS breaks -XX:FlightRecorderOptions=retransform=false

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Thu Oct 26 23:26:49 UTC 2017

Please review the follow change:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iklam/jdk10/8190191-jfr-event-retransform-false.v01.open/

Background:

When -XX:FlightRecorderOptions=retransform=false is given in the
command-line,
subclasses of jdk.jfr.Event are instrumented at load time with
information that's
specific to the current JVM lifetime. As a result, we cannot perform
such instrumentation at CDS dump time.

A more complicated CDS solution would load these classes from the archive,
and re-do the runtime instrumentation. However, there are only a very
small number of these classes. The performance benefit of archiving them
does not justify the extra complication.

Hence, in this fix, we just identify these classes and exclude them
from the CDS archive during run time.

(Because JFR is still a closed feature, the test cases are in the closed
repo ...)

Thanks
- Ioi