RFR: 8184765: Dynamically resize SystemDictionary

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Tue Oct 31 16:39:36 UTC 2017

On Oct 30, 2017, at 8:50 PM, David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com> wrote:

> The flag should not be experimental - enabling resizable tables is not an experiment that the user is controlling, it is the default behaviour that we intend to occur. The flag is there to turn it off if for some reason this doesn't work

This describes a diagnostic flag, not a product flag.  We mask those
flags to avoid polluting the list of true product flags with diagnostic hooks.

> - the flag should be a product flag.

Hence, it should be a diagnostic flag, if we think there is a long-term
diagnostic benefit to turning it off.  Otherwise it should be removed as
Gerard suggests.  Diagnosis could be for either bugs or performance.

If there is a non-diagnostic reason, where we expect a user to flip it
more or less permanently for their use case, it could be product.

Experimental flags should be short-lived.

— John