RFR(S) 8187040: ThreadCritical crashes on Solaris if used between os::init and os::init_2

Mikael Gerdin mikael.gerdin at oracle.com
Mon Sep 4 07:21:11 UTC 2017

Hi David,

On 2017-09-04 02:57, David Holmes wrote:
> Hi Mikael,
>
> This cleanup looks good. Obviously things got out of sync on solaris
> when we've split os::init into pieces in the past. And this solaris-only
> requirement should never have leaked through to the other ports. So good
> to see the cleanup.

Thanks for the quick review, David.

> As Thomas notes there may be something that can be implicitly checked
> instead of adding the new field, but that is a minor concern.

The reason I added the new field was to make it clear to the casual
reader of os::Solaris::synchronization_init() that other parts of the
code may be depending on the initialization.
If I just added accessors for the _mutex_lock and _mutex_unlock function
pointers I think that would be less clear.
I'm not strongly in favor of any approach, let's see what Thomas has to say.

/Mikael