RFR(M) 8208999 Some use of Klass* should be replaced by InstanceKlass*

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Tue Aug 7 18:35:02 UTC 2018

On 8/7/18 5:30 AM, coleen.phillimore at oracle.com wrote:

> On 8/7/18 12:31 AM, Ioi Lam wrote:
>> Hi Coleen,
>>
>> Thanks for the review. Updated webrev is here:
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iklam/jdk12/8208999_klass_should_be_instanceklass.v02/
>>

>> More comments below
>>

>> On 8/6/18 3:36 PM, coleen.phillimore at oracle.com wrote:
>>>
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iklam/jdk12/8208999_klass_should_be_instanceklass.v01/src/hotspot/share/classfile/systemDictionaryShared.cpp.udiff.html
>>>

>>> 1007 return entry != NULL ? entry->instance_klass() :
>>> (InstanceKlass*)NULL;
>>>
>>> do you need this cast here?
>>>
>> Removed.
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iklam/jdk12/8208999_klass_should_be_instanceklass.v01/src/hotspot/share/memory/metadataFactory.hpp.udiff.html
>>>

>>> + static void free_array(ClassLoaderData* loader_data, const
>>> Array<T>* data) {
>>>

>>> But we are modifying the contents of the data (?).  This is for
>>> deleting secondary_supers?   I think maybe adding the const for them
>>> might be overkill.
>>>
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iklam/jdk12/8208999_klass_should_be_instanceklass.v01/src/hotspot/share/oops/klass.hpp.udiff.html
>>>

>>> - Array<Klass*>* _secondary_supers;
>>> + const Array<Klass*>* _secondary_supers;
>>>
>>> I think the improvement outweighs this messy part of this. This
>>> looks like a difficult thing to change.
>>>
>> I agree. I reverted the "const" for Klass::secondary_supers. I also
>> removed Array::as_const_array_of() since that will probably be abused
>> by people who don't read the comments. Instead, I added this in
>> InstanceKlass::compute_secondary_supers:
>>
>> set_secondary_supers((Array<Klass*>*)(address)interfaces);
>>
>> it's a little ugly but the effects are localized.
>
> I agree, and you can have a short comment above just that part why the
> cast is needed, and the if statement where you cast them both to address?

I added these comments. What do you think?

     // The secondary super list is exactly the same as the transitive
interfaces, so
     // let's use it instead of making a copy.
     // Redefine classes has to be careful not to delete this!
     // We need the cast because Array<Klass*> is NOT a supertype of
Array<InstanceKlass*>,
     // (but it's safe to do here because we won't write into
_secondary_supers from this point on).
     set_secondary_supers((Array<Klass*>*)(address)interfaces);

   if (secondary_supers() != NULL &&
       secondary_supers() != Universe::the_empty_klass_array() &&
       // see comments in compute_secondary_supers about the following cast
       (address)(secondary_supers()) !=
(address)(transitive_interfaces()) &&

Thanks
- Ioi