RFR: 8209120: Archive the Integer.IntegerCache

Claes Redestad claes.redestad at oracle.com
Thu Aug 9 16:28:14 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-09 17:41, Peter Levart wrote:

> There's danger when you overwrite a non-null @Stable field with
> another value that this new value will not be seen. Or is <clinit>
> code an exception where @Stable is not honored yet...

Typically IntegerCache::<clinit> runs before JIT has even started, so I
think we're OK even though the double-assignment is undefined. But it's
a good question what happens in cases we're running AOTd code, so
perhaps this pattern might be problematic in some future..

> To mitigate this possibility, you could have two fields:
>
> static Integer cache[];
> static final Integer finalCache[];
>
> The 'cache' field is archived and de-archived. The final result is set
> to 'cache' by overwriting and to 'finalCache'. The later is then also
> used in Integer.valueOf().

Right, this would be a cheap way to dispel any concerns here.

/Claes