RFR 8209138: Symbol constructor uses u1 as the element type of its name argument

coleen.phillimore at oracle.com coleen.phillimore at oracle.com
Mon Aug 20 18:58:44 UTC 2018

This change looks really good!

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8209138/webrev/src/hotspot/share/classfile/systemDictionary.cpp.udiff.html

+ char ch = (char) type->char_at(0);

There are still a lot of (char*) casts to the return of chars() function
calls.  Can you remove all of the casts?

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8209138/webrev/src/hotspot/share/runtime/signature.hpp.udiff.html

+ const char* raw_bytes() { return _signature->chars() + _begin; }
    int          raw_length() { return _end - _begin; }

Nit, can you line up the '{'.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8209138/webrev/src/hotspot/share/runtime/vmStructs.cpp.udiff.html

Since there were changes to the vmStructs, were there necessary changes
to SA.   I don't know which tier the SA tests run in.

make run-test TEST=open/test/hotspot/jtreg/serviceability/sa
would do the trick.

Thank you for fixing this!
Coleen