RFR 8209821: Make JVMTI GetClassLoaderClasses not walk CLDG

coleen.phillimore at oracle.com coleen.phillimore at oracle.com
Fri Aug 24 20:38:14 UTC 2018

On 8/24/18 3:31 PM, Lois Foltan wrote:
> On 8/24/2018 2:59 PM, coleen.phillimore at oracle.com wrote:

>>> Hi Coleen,
>>>
>>> I think this is a good clean up.  Couple of comments.
>>>
>>> - memory/universe.cpp
>>> You could make basic_type_classes_do() be a for loop
>>>     for (int i = 0; i < T_VOID+1; i++) {
>>>       closure->do_klass(typeArrayKlassObjs[i]());
>>>   }
>>
>> Interesting observation.  This is equivalent except T_OBJECT and
>> T_ARRAY elements aren't initiatialized.  I believe that the do_klass
>> in the closure I am passing will choke on NULL.  I've never
>> understood why these statics needed to be duplicated like this, and
>> have tried to clean this up before.  Maybe an RFE to do so would be
>> better.
> Hi Coleen,
>
> Then just have the for loop be instead  for (int i = T_BOOLEAN; i <
> T_LONG+1; i++).  I'm okay with what you decide.  However, to me the
> code in Universe::metaspace_pointers_do() at line 230-232 looks wrong:
>
> for (int i = 0; i < T_VOID+1; i++) {
>     it->push(&_typeArrayKlassObjs[i]);
>   }
>
> The VM does not appear to store anything in _typeArrayKlassObjs for
> elements 0-3, so hopefully those elements are NULL.  It should at
> least start that for loop off at T_BOOLEAN.

Hm, you're right T_BOOLEAN starts at 4.  The closure will still crash on
zero for _typeArrayKlassObj[T_ARRAY] and [T_OBJECT]. Actually
_typeArrayKlassObj only goes to T_LONG, so I could change the loop to be
from T_BOOLEAN to T_LONG inclusively (and rerunning tests).

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/8209821.02/webrev/src/hotspot/share/memory/universe.cpp.udiff.html

I opened this RFE to clean these up some more.

Coleen