RFR(XS): 8209736: runtime/RedefineTests/ModifyAnonymous.java fails with NullPointerException when running in CDS mode

Calvin Cheung calvin.cheung at oracle.com
Fri Aug 31 20:33:59 UTC 2018

Hi Jiangli,

On 8/31/18, 1:10 PM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:
> Hi Calvin,
>
> How about use a separate loop (before the main test loop in runTest())
> to print out the class names in the allLoadedClasses array?
  109     static void runTest() {
  110         while (!done) {
  111             Class[] allLoadedClasses = inst.getAllLoadedClasses();
  112             int len = allLoadedClasses.length;
  113             for (int idx = 0; idx < len; idx++) {

Did you mean print out all the class names after line 111? There would
be too much output since there's a while loop enclosing it.
Or did you mean something else?
> If null is discovered, throw a RuntimeException(). That helps to
> provide more debugging information and also will not silent the issue
> that causes the NPE if it does' resurface again.
I don't think throwing a RuntimeException() gives anymore info than the
existing NPE.
The idea of this change is that after a null clazz is encountered, let
the test continue to run. It may fail in a different way which may give
us more clues.

thanks,
Calvin