RFR(XS): 8209736: runtime/RedefineTests/ModifyAnonymous.java fails with NullPointerException when running in CDS mode

Jiangli Zhou jiangli.zhou at oracle.com
Fri Aug 31 22:47:57 UTC 2018

> On Aug 31, 2018, at 2:54 PM, Calvin Cheung <calvin.cheung at oracle.com> wrote:
>

>> On 8/31/18, 1:52 PM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:
>> Hi Calvin,
>>

>>> On 8/31/18 1:33 PM, Calvin Cheung wrote:
>>> Hi Jiangli,

>>> 109     static void runTest() {
>>> 110         while (!done) {
>>> 111             Class[] allLoadedClasses = inst.getAllLoadedClasses();
>>> 112             int len = allLoadedClasses.length;
>>> 113             for (int idx = 0; idx < len; idx++) {
>>>
>>> Did you mean print out all the class names after line 111? There would be too much output since there's a while loop enclosing it.
>>> Or did you mean something else?
>> Yes. If the failure does re-manifest again, we can compare the output with a normal run. That would give some useful information. How big is the allLoadedClasses?
> On my local linux machine, it only loops through the while loop twice and I saw more than 1800 class names in the output.
>>
>> Or, maybe we could print the classes if null is detected.
> This is a better option.

Probably dumping to a file.

>>> I don't think throwing a RuntimeException() gives anymore info than the existing NPE.
>>> The idea of this change is that after a null clazz is encountered, let the test continue to run. It may fail in a different way which may give us more clues.
>> The NPE might be caused by a rare race condition, which might not affect the redefineClass process and the test could pass with the change. We should avoid such case.
> Maybe but we don't know for sure. The main purpose of the test is to make sure an anonymous class cannot be retransformed or redefined. So I don't think we're masking any problem if a null class is encountered and the test passed.

The issue is with getAllLoadedClasses. The proposed change would make the issue not being detected. I think we need to understand what’s the expected behavior of the API.

Thanks,
Jiangli