RFR: 8041626: [Event Request] Shutdown reason

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Feb 12 07:07:03 UTC 2018

Hi Robin,

On 10/02/2018 1:41 AM, Robin Westberg wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>> On 9 Feb 2018, at 05:22, David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com
>> <mailto:david.holmes at oracle.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Robin,
>>
>>> Right, almost all the runtime changes are made in order to try to
>>> figure out what the process exit code from the launcher will
>>> eventually be. For example, the launcher returns 1 if the main thread
>>> exited with an unhandled exception, but 0 otherwise. But I actually
>>> agree that this information is probably only of marginal use (it
>>> could always be captured from wherever Java is launched if someone
>>> really wants it), so it is perhaps not worth the trouble.
>>
>> Yes and that particular example of launcher behaviour is an archaic
>> throwback to C programming - where end of "main" means end of the
>> program - IMHO. I don't think it is of interest - and certainly not
>> worth jumping through so many hoops to make the info available.
>>
>>> Discussed it a bit with Erik Gahlin, and perhaps the best option here
>>> is to simply remove the status code field from the event, that would
>>> simplify things and make the code you mention above go away.
>>
>> That sounds good to me. :)

>>> In this case I think it actually conveys useful information if you
>>> are trying to diagnose an unexpected shutdown. It should be useful to
>>> find the initial request of an orderly shutdown, even if something
>>> else happens during the shutdown sequence like a finalizer calling
>>> exit (in which case you could possibly end up with two shutdown
>>> events, but both may contain interesting information).
>>
>> Yes that is useful. But I find the need to code things the way they
>> are, unfortunate. But given current constraints, so be it.
>
> Okay, I’ve removed the code related to the status field, certainly makes
> the change a bit less intrusive.
>
> Updated webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rwestberg/8041626/webrev.01/
> Incremental: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rwestberg/8041626/webrev.00-01/

This looks much cleaner/neater to me - thanks.

Tool Nit: the git-webrev tool you use has an annoying quirk compared to
our own webrev tool - it first reports the number of files changed even
when it is reporting on an individual file! I'm used to seeing a first
number that represents number of lines changes - and the "1" in this
case throws me as I like to quickly look at the size of the change for
each file when deciding what order to look at them. :(