[11] RFR JDK-8198249: Remove deprecated Runtime::runFinalizersOnExit and System::runFinalizersOnExit

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 14:52:06 UTC 2018

Hi Mandy,

On 02/16/2018 05:09 AM, mandy chung wrote:

> On 2/15/18 7:29 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
>> This also changes the handling of (undeprecated) method
>> runFinalization and that's obviously related but could be a separate
>> changeset.
>>

> I agree I should separate the runFinalization change.  I leave it in
> this webrev for now.  I will send out the final webrevs before I push
> (I am feeling under the weather a bit now).
>
>> We'll need to merge with my own pending change to Finalizer.java.
>
> Merged.  New version:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk11/webrevs/8198249/webrev.02/
>
> Mandy

I think that the following now never applies (in Finalizer) since
ReferenceQueue never returns the same Reference object more than once:

   71             if (this.next == this)      // already finalized
   72                 return;

You could change it into an assert to be comfortable. What do you think?

Regards, Peter