RFR: JDK-8198243: Add build time check for global operator new/delete in object files

Erik Joelsson erik.joelsson at oracle.com
Thu Feb 22 19:41:12 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-21 21:06, David Holmes wrote:
> On 22/02/2018 4:07 AM, Erik Joelsson wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> On 2018-02-20 21:33, David Holmes wrote:
>>>
>>> a) how much time it adds to the build?
>>>
>> I have not done extensive testing, but on my Linux workstation with
>> 32 hw threads, building just hotspot release build from a clean
>> workspace increased maybe 1 or 2 seconds (at around 90s total), but
>> the variance was around the same amount as that.
>>> b) why this doesn't work for Solaris Studio?
>>>
>> I didn't put a lot of effort into trying to figure it out. The check
>> used was provided by Kim Barrett, for Linux only. I figured it would
>> be simple enough to get it to work on mac and succeeded there. It
>> should certainly be possible to implement a similar check on Solaris,
>> but is it worth the time to do it? Both development time and
>> increased build time on one of the slower build platforms?
>
> Depends how concerned we are with detecting this problem in OS
> specific source code?

I investigated this some more. I was able to do it successfully, but the
build time cost is way too large here. The culprit is c++filt on Solaris
which is incredibly costly, and the gnu version does not demangle
Solaris Studio symbols. I don't think we should do this on Solaris.

We could grep for the mangled strings for the operators instead, which
is super fast. Problem is just figuring out all the possible combinations.

/Erik