RFR(L): 8198423: Improve metaspace chunk allocation (was: Proposal for improvements to the metaspace chunk allocator)

Lindenmaier, Goetz goetz.lindenmaier at sap.com
Tue Feb 27 11:29:23 UTC 2018

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for posting this and for incorporating my comments. You
missed two occurrences of PRODUCT, see below.  No new webrev needed.
Looks  fine now, Reviewed.

Cross-posting this to runtime-dev because I think that’s the
proper list for this change.

I copied some text from
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-dev/2018-February/030231.html
to comment on it here, so the discussion is continued in this thread, see below.

Best regards,
  Goetz.

> > If not, for simplicity, I would have implemented this by just taking
> > the next medium chunk (which would always be aligned) and
> > split it into the needed size and add all the rest to
> > the corresponding free lists.  But no change needed here,
> > I just want to understand. (Probably this is not feasible
> > because the humongous ones are not aliged to medium chunks size...)
> >

> You understand everything correctly.
>
> As for your proposal, I am not sure it would make matters much simpler.
> Maybe I do not fully understand:
>
> Now, we do:
>   - is watermark aligned to chunk size? No -> carve out padding chunks, add
> them to freelist, then - with the watermark now properly aligned - carve
> out the desired chunk we wanted in the first place.
>
> After your proposal:
>   - the watermark should always be correctly aligned. So, first, carve out
> desired chunk. Then, if it is smaller than a medium chunk, carve out n
> padding chunks until the watermark is properly aligned again.
>
> Not sure this is better. Only the order of operations is reversed.
>
> Also, yes, the one thorn is that Humongous chunks are still unaligned, but
> we could change the alignment rules for humongous chunks - that would be
> not difficult.
Right now, you have to consider two sizes, the current alignment and
the requested alignment.
In my proposal you know the current alignemnt (the largetst one), thus
you have one dimension of checks less.
But with the humongous chunks not being aligned this is pointless,
so just leave as-is.

> > I think the naming "padding chunks" is a bit misleading.
> > It sounds as if the chunks would be wasted, but as they
> > are added to the free lists they are not lost.
> > dict.leo gives "offcut" for "Verschnitt" ... not a word
> > common to me, but at least the german translation and the
> > wordwise translation better fit the situation I think.
> > Feel free to keep it as is, though.
>
> I agree. "Alignment chunks"?
Sounds better, too.

> > TestVirtualSpaceNode_test() is empty. Maybe remove it altogether?
> Makes sense.
Thanks.

> > A lot of the methods are passed 'true' or 'false' to indicate
> > whether it is for the class or metaspace manager. Maybe you
> > could define enum is_class and is_metaspace or the like, to
> > make these calls more speaking?
> >

> There is already one, "MetadataType". One could use that throughout the
> code.
>
> However, there already was a mixture of "MetadataType" and "bool is_class"
> predating this patch - so, my patch did not add to the confusion, I just
> choose one of the prevalent forms. Unifying those two forms makes sense and
> can be done in a later cleanup (or? Opinions?).
Well, as there are so many occurances you could clean up right away,
but feel free to leave it as-is.

> > Minor nit: as you anyways normalize #defines to ASSERT, you
> > might want to fix the remaining two or three #defines in metaspace.cpp
> > from PRODUCT to ASSERT/DEBUG, too.
> Sure!
You missed some:
3813 #ifdef PRODUCT